0

Black Forest Cake


My birthday offering because;
1. You can not go wrong with a chocolate cake and
2. My dad loves cherries in cakes but I don’t so this was a very selfless cake bake.



I googled for black forest cake and the bbc had a recipe so with mine and their past track record I went with them! (Very predictable I know) I decided early on to put glace cherries into the cake batter instead of real cherries in between and was going to make my own frosting so didn’t need the ganache, instead I used 100g of the dark chocolate in the cake batter. 




I used a 170g tub of low fat greek yogurt as I hate having left over yoghurt, it just never gets used and I added a little milk to make up for the missing amount, I needed to whisk the mixture quite a bit to get it smooth. 





For the additions of water, yoghurt mix and chocolate first I added the yoghurt to the flour mix, then the water into the chocolate, then the chocolate to the flour and stirred, it smelt sooooo good.







I halved all my cherries, yep ALL of them and added them straight to the batter and then divided the mixture between three tins.







For the frosting I combined another two things my dad loves; pistachios and coconut. I used the butter cream ratio of 1:2 with 150g butter and 300g icing sugar. 




After beating together till smooth I added the nuts and desiccated coconut and two teaspoons of milk and it finished off a lumpy mess!






I used this cake as a practice for my sandwich frosting, I wanted a thickish layer as I was only putting it in between and I’m taking baby steps trying to get that professional frosting finish. 



I think it went okay I used the pile on and spread out technique and actually managed to glue back together a layer that split coming out of the tin. 




Once it was stacked it was ready to go!







I got very good reviews from my family but I think I would add a little more milk next time, it could have done with a tiny bit more and I really liked the idea of doing a cherry drizzle but I didn’t think ahead that much. I loved this recipe it’s a great dark chocolate cake recipe to have as an easy crowd pleaser cake to whip up.

Thanks for Reading xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top UA-47819335-1